From:
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2013 15:31:33 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 14:09:43 -0500

"Have you asked your university's librarians how they select?"

Well, yes, in fact I have had many such conversations. During the
entire 20 years while I was director of Penn State University Press, a
collection development librarian sat on the editorial board of the
Press. It was, indeed, that member of the board who first recommended
that detailed information about the nature and extent of revisions of
a book based on a dissertation be included as a standard part of the
materials presented to the board when this type of book was
recommended by the staff for acceptance. That got me to thinking how
impoverished, by comparison, was the information on which librarians
elsewhere were being asked to make decisions about revised
dissertations. I can understand why librarians do not want to buy
unrevised dissertations, so a vendor's providing that information
truly is helpful. It still puzzles me (and probably Alex also) what
additional information is provided by separating out books as "revised
dissertations" since no further information about the nature and
extent of revision is provided. Assumptions about how revised
dissertations compare with other books are hazardous to make at best.
Susan Okin's "Women in Western Political Thought," for example, was
among the many best-selling revised dissertations I acquired for
Princeton U.P.  It is hardly a narrowly focused monograph. The
standards that university presses use to choose revised dissertations
to publish do not differ in any way from those they use to choose
other books.

I did not rely on just the information supplied by YBP in coming to
the conclusion that a systematic bias existed against buying revised
dissertations. I did a study of all books published by Penn State
University Press over a fourteen-year period (1994-2008) in Latin
American studies to find out how sales of revised dissertations
compared with sales of other books. As reported on Liblicense on March
31, 2010, this is what I found:

> [...]
>
> During the second part of this period, as we became more aware of changes in library purchasing decisions to buy paperbacks if they were immediately available, we changed our strategy to issue the
> cloth edition first and then a paperback edition later, usually when the cloth stock had sold through completely. From 2001 through 2008, a total of 35 single-authored titles were published in cloth only to begin with. Of that number, 25 were revised dissertations. The average cloth sale was 360 for all books together; 436 for books not based on dissertations; and 330 for revised dissertations [i.e., 24% less]. I did not calculate the average sales for paperback editions because they had not been issued for all of the books in this sample yet, but it is clear from partial data that the average for lifetime sales will be way below what it was during the earlier period, more like 300 to 400 copies.
>
> There is a lot of consistency in these data. In both periods, about 70% of the books we published originated from dissertations. One may safely conclude that it is possible to build a very distinguished list even though it is weighted heavily with revised dissertations. (I have always believed that a good many of the best books published in this field come out of dissertations. I would not want to claim
> that this is true for other fields.)
>
> Despite the fact that ETDs [Electronic Theses and Dissertations, made available through the NDLTD] and ProQuest's database of theses in electronic form only became a factor in the later period, the relationship between sales of books not based on dissertations and of books originating from dissertations is remarkably similar between the two periods analyzed here. This finding suggests to me that the effect of any bias against revised dissertations based on the availability of ETDs and ProQuest's database, it it has any influence at all, is outweighed by other factors involved in library decisions about purchases.
>
> As some librarians have suggested, there is a general perception that books based on dissertations are more "specialized," narrower in scope, etc., and thus these books are ordered in smaller numbers.
> My guess is that this hypothesis offers a better explanation of the data I have presented here than any other. I would dispute that characterization of revised dissertations as a generalization, at least for the books we publish in this field, but that's another story.

As for "market research," I did recommend to the AAUP, which for many
years tracked sales of books in different categories (such as
translations), that it add a category to track sales specifically of
revised dissertations, so that we could gather a wider range of
longitudinal data to show whether or not Penn State's experience with
this one field was an outlier or not.  That recommendation, alas, was
never acted upon, so we simply don't have the data to confirm or
disconfirm the hypothesis in any reliable way.

However, I believe it is still true that many editors at university
presses continue to believe that libraries, for whatever reason, order
fewer revised dissertations than other books and that sales are
therefore lower, on average, than for other books.  In the absence of
hard data, perception becomes reality and the unfortunate impact on
junior scholars follows.  In my view, a world with far fewer revised
dissertations becoming books is a world with far less rich
scholarship.

Sandy Thatcher