From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:31:55 -0500
From: "John P. Abbott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:36:13 -0500

> From: Sandy Thatcher Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 22:33:18 -0600
> As I've said before, universities have no one but themselves to blame
> for letting STM journal publishing be captured by commercial
> publishers. Universities had their own healthy and well-functioning
> publishing infrastructure to use if they had so chosen, but for
> whatever reason allowed STM publishing to migrate outside to the
> commercial sector.

I don't recall a time when most universities had university presses that were
well-functioning and healthy.   I think that is largely a
often-repeated fiction.

Very few U.P.'s ever had the scalable infrastructure  to
go to academic societies and say, "Outsource your journal operations to us, you
get rid of that difficult overhead,  and we'll send you a check every year."

John

John P. Abbott, MS MSLS
Associate Professor&  Coordinator, Collection Management
University Library
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC  28608