From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2011 21:04:24 -0500
From: Jan Velterop <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 08:03:10 +0000

Joe,  I don't regard you as being difficult. We just differ in opinion.

I agree with you where you question the term 'publishing' for what
'publishers' do, or think they do. I've long held the view that
science 'publishers' should really be called 'quality assurance
providers' or something in that vein, and I restated that in a recent
blog post (http://bit.ly/tI5odU). Where we seem to differ is our view
whether this applies to all science 'publishers' or just to open
access 'publishers'.

I am, frankly, surprised by your characterisation of a publisher's
role as suppressing production. It reminds me of the opinion I've
heard from quite a few prominent scientists over the years that
someone who wants to have access to less information rather than more
cannot really call himself a scientist.

The bringing to the attention of scientists of any more than the
occasional individual article is just not possible with the million+
articles published every year (and counting). As I made clear, I'm
talking about journal publishing and not book publishing, in which
realm your views may be more relevant.

Jan Velterop