From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2014 18:54:08 -0500
From: "Bourke, Amy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 18:46:44 +0000

Dear all,

We’ve replied to Shirley directly about this, but we also wanted to
clear up any confusion by posting here, too.

Nature Communications will accept open access submissions only from
20th October, to ensure there is a Nature-branded flagship journal for
high-quality, open access research.  In the journal’s transition to
full open access, it is important to us to honour the author's choice
of subscription or open access publication for those authors whose
research was currently in review by the journal when we made the
announcement, and for submissions up to this date. This also helps to
ensure that the journal remains sustainable and the costs of
publishing these articles are covered, during the transition period

Until an article is finally accepted for publication in Nature
Communications the editors do not know which publication route an
author wishes to opt for, and because Nature Communications has proved
very popular with authors (over 1500 submissions every month now)
there’s certain to be a substantial number of articles that will
publish under the subscription option for the remainder of 2014 and in
to 2015.  This pipeline of subscription articles will publish
throughout 2015, and it is these articles that the site license fee
will cover. The site license fee is only for the articles which will
publish via a subscription model - these articles are not covered by
an APC as the author chose to submit and publish via the subscription
model.

As 2015 progresses, more and more open access content will be
published, but a significant amount will still be subscription
content. In effect, Nature Communications continues to be a hybrid
subscription journal throughout 2015, but the announcement to authors
about the move to a fully open access submission title needed to be
made this year, to prepare them for the change in publishing model for
2016.

If you have any questions regarding your site license for Nature
Communications, please contact your regular NPG rep to discuss your
renewal for 2015. If you don’t know your rep, please email
[log in to unmask] and we will forward this on to the appropriate
rep to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Amy Bourke
Corporate Communications Manager
Nature Publishing Group/Palgrave Macmillan
E: [log in to unmask]
T: 020 7843 4603 | M: +44 (0) 7703717212