From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2016 17:27:48 -0500
From: "Pikas, Christina K." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 01:30:21 +0000

Seems like a lot of people are making hasty judgments based only on a
word, most definitely an unfortunate choice, in the abstract and not
on the science in the paper.

A marine biologist whom I respect believes the article should not have
been retracted:

http://www.southernfriedscience.com/this-paper-should-not-have-been-retracted-handofgod-highlights-the-worst-aspects-of-science-twitter/

"The authors responded to PLOS’s decision and revealed that, far from
an attempt to insert creationism into the scientific literature, their
references to a Creator were simply the result of translating a
Chinese idiom into English, and that, in a more literal sense, the
idiom meant “nature as guided by natural processes like selection”. In
that light, I’m in 100% agreement with Dr24Hours: The “Creator” paper,
Post-pub Peer Review, and Racism Among Scientists."

It definitely is not a good basis to judge an entire publishing
paradigm on. Further, PLoS One's JIF varies a lot from year to year
which says more about the JIF than it does about mega journals in my
opinion (for what that's worth!)

Christina