From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2011 19:22:09 -0500
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 17:43:10 -0800

Jan,

You really are not grasping the basic economics here.  In an author-
pays situation, a number of articles are submitted.  The "journal" (if
that is still the appropriate term) reviews all of them.  Only  accepted
articles carry a fee. Thus that fee must cover all of the rejected pieces
as well as the one that is accepted.  The more submissions, the more
rejections; the more popular the service, the greater the overhead.
Thus author-pays journals will, as the market develops, be motivated
to reduce costs, and part of those savings will come from lighter editorial
review.  The core economic issue is that the individual author or his or
her proxy (such as a "subscribing" institution) has to carry the entire system.

With toll-access (it need not be subscription-based, though it usually is),
overhead rises with increased submissions, which are a reflection of a
stronger brand.  But the cost of this can be offset by finding new customers,
since the higher-ranked publications reach wider audiences.  Higher-ranked
publications can also impose stiff price increases, which customers of course
detest, but the history of this business is clear in that customers
pay for quality.
You don't have these options with author-pays OA.

Toll-access publishers fight hard to get the best publications and the best
authors for those publications because that perceived quality can lead to
stronger revenues.  There is no equivalent for author-pays OA.

As for the question of whether it "works," well, works for whom?  The
toll-access
model works for the winners; it is heartless about the losers.  It is
indifferent to
the fate of libraries except insofar as every vendor wants its
customers to survive,
even if just barely.  The author-pays model works for discovery tools.  It
disseminates content for anyone who wants to disseminate it.  So it
works, too.

Speaking for myself, I don't care a fig if a publication is
toll-access or author-
pays.  My interest is in organizations that are self-supporting, and both toll-
access and OA services can be.

Joe Esposito