From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 16:26:52 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:22:16 +0100

I would suggest that most research in medicine is done by people who are
biomedical researchers whose relationship with physicians is tenuous. They
do not necessarily publish in journals that are covered by Medline. When I
was a dental publisher I found that, for example, the significant part of
the dental research which is concerned with materials was published in
straight materials journals (often because dental journals have such low
impact factors). If you wanted to look at the publication record of a dental
academic, it was much better to use Google Scholar because papers were
covered in journals that Medline did not look at. I imagine there are
analogies in many medical specialties

Anthony Watkinson