From:
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 17:34:23 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:36:12 -0600

I was once threatened with a suit because, in reacting to a criticism
from a historian who denigrated the value of copyediting, I pointed to
a book published by a major university press that probably would not
have won a major national book award had it not been for the heroic
efforts of the copyeditor in virtually rewriting the book. The
author's lawyer sent me a letter demanding a retraction, under threat
of a law suit, but I had the good fortune to receive pro bono
assistance from a top law firm in NYC that instructed me on exactly
how to respond. It probably didn't hurt either that I could back up my
claim with documentation from the publisher's file, which no doubt
would have proved embarrassing to the author had the matter ever gone
to court.

Sandy Thatcher