From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:38:27 -0500
From: Allison Belan <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM

For immediate release
January 17, 2013

For more information, please contact
Leslie Eager, Exhibits and Direct Marketing

DUKE UNIVERSITY PRESS E-BOOKS WILL MOVE TO HIGHWIRE

Expanded Partnership Will Provide a New Home for the e-Duke Books
Scholarly Collection for a Seamless Research Experience across Books
and Journals

Duke University Press and HighWire Press are pleased to announce a
major expansion of their partnership to include the e-Duke Books
Scholarly Collection. Beginning with the 2014 collection, e-Duke
Books, an annual collection of at least 100 new electronic books
published by Duke University Press as well as more than 1,500 backlist
titles, will move to HighWire’s Open Platform and the newly developed
Folio e-book solution.

With the launch of the e-Duke Books Scholarly Collection on HighWire,
Duke University Press’s readers and library subscribers will benefit
from HighWire’s long record of innovation and reliability. The
integrated platform will connect users with content more effectively
by incorporating searching across all of Duke’s publications—not only
e-books but their highly ranked journals as well.

“HighWire has been a fabulous partner for us, ever since we moved our
electronic journals in the humanities and social sciences, including
the e-Duke Journals Scholarly Collections, to their platform in 2005,”
said Steve Cohn, Director of Duke University Press. “Above all, we are
very much looking forward to having our books and our journals on a
single platform, where we can provide a seamless research experience
to users and offer a variety of collections to libraries that include
both book and journal content together. We think that’s the way the
world of scholarly publishing needs to be moving, and we think
HighWire will be the ideal collaborator for helping us move in that
direction with integrity and creativity.”

Key features of the e-Duke Books collection on Folio will include a
device-friendly reading experience, viewable in PDF and
mobile-optimized e-reader formats; toll-free inter-content linked
access to cited content also hosted by HighWire, including journal
articles from Duke, Oxford University Press, and SAGE Publications;
and increased content granularity for better discovery, sharing, and
navigating.

“The HighWire Open Platform provides Duke University Press with
flexible options to deliver reader experiences that are appropriate
for their content,” said Tom Rump, Managing Director at HighWire. “Our
e-book solutions enhance the versatility of the platform, offering
Duke and others the opportunity to integrate their multiple content
types – books, journals, figures, data, etc. – in one highly
discoverable service.”

All e-Duke Books Scholarly Collection content will be available on the
new platform in December 2013. The current 2013 collection will be
unaffected by this change and will continue to be hosted by ebrary
through the end of this year. Throughout 2013, e-Duke Books customers
will receive frequent communications to ensure a smooth and timely
transition. Additional library transition resources, including a
growing list of FAQs, are now available at
dukeupress.edu/e-duke-books-platform-transition-resources.

For more information about the platform transition, please contact
Duke University Press Customer Service at [log in to unmask]

###

About Duke University Press

The Press publishes primarily in the humanities and social sciences
and has a growing collection in mathematics. It is an internationally
recognized publisher known for its willingness to take chances with
nontraditional and multidisciplinary publications. Duke University
Press supports the academic mission of Duke University by
disseminating knowledge through the publication of approximately 120
books annually and 46 journals, as well as by offering five electronic
collections:  dukeupress.edu

About HighWire

At the forefront of strategic scholarly publishing, HighWire Press
provides the latest in digital content development and hosting
solutions to the scholarly community through its ground-breaking
HighWire Open Platform. A division of the Stanford University
Libraries, HighWire partners with influential societies, university
presses, and other independent publishers, sharing ideas and
innovations in publishing, and producing definitive online versions of
high-impact, peer-reviewed journals, books, reference works, and other
scholarly content. Since its inception in 1995, HighWire has embodied
a commitment to helping publishers disseminate their content to the
widest possible audience, facilitating the research communication
process to meet the ever-changing needs of today’s online and mobile
readers:  highwire.stanford.edu

Twitter: @highwirepress