From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2012 18:48:44 -0500
From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 22:37:01 -0500

The author's final draft is the refereed, revised version, accepted
for publication. The publisher's version is the "version of record":
http://crossref.org/02publishers/glossary.html

For Open Access purposes, both of these are called "postprints" (with
the "post" referring to the refereeing: "post-refereeing"). The
author's pre-refereeing drafts(s) are called "preprints":
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#What-is-Eprint

The reason Green Open Access Mandates specify that the author's
(refereed, revised, accepted) final draft is what must be deposited is
that it has far fewer restrictions on it than the publisher's version
of record. Over 60% of journals (including most of the top journals)
already endorse immediate (un-embargoed) OA self-archiving of the
author's refereed, revised final draft -- but not the publisher's
version-of-record.

(Contrary to the intuitions of many well-meaning librarians, the
difference between access denial and open access to the author's
refereed final draft is the difference between night and day for
researchers: http://bit.ly/OAnite It is a great strategic mistake to
insist on the version-of-record, or to worry that the author's
refereed final draft is somehow not "good enough". It is infinitely
preferable to no access: But what is cited is of course always the
archival version-of-record. The OA version is merely the version
accessed.)

There are many variants of these terms, including "definitive version"
for the publisher's version-of-record and "personal version" for the
author's final version. No term covers all nuances, but stretching the
descriptor to "author's refereed draft" covers the essentials.

Stevan Harnad