From:
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2011 20:21:21 -0500
From: Jan Velterop <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 08:35:58 +0000

Joe,

I fear we are talking cross-purposes. My frame of reference is
primarily STM journals. In that frame of reference I just don't
recognise your definition of 'distribution' as "actually persuading
people to read something", unless 'something' means literally that.
Sure, publishers try to stimulate downloads, since they help them
making he case to li,rarians that they should renew their
subscriptions and licences. But it's a numbers game, in which
'something' pretty much means 'anything', and the marginal cost of
extra downloads is negligible.

Indeed, the bits on your hard drive are meaningless unless you engage
with them. Researchers do engage with the information they have access
to, and they would like to have even more to engage with, but all this
engaging isn't necessarily in the form of reading nowadays. Perhaps it
can be described as 'meta-reading', but it is more and more about
extracting facts and assertions, collating them with those from a
large number of publications, connecting and relating them, analysing
them, and using the information gleaned as a basis for further
thinking, experimentation, et cetera. Occasionally articles are still
being read linearly, but even then, particularly if they are being
read online (or nowadays also in PDF when the PDF is opened with the
likes of the scientific reader Utopia - free from getutopia.org) as a
starting point for further navigation of information and knowledge.

Human attention is indeed a scarce thing. And that attention is less
and less being attracted by journals per se, let alone their
publishers. It's the connections between facts and information across
a vast array of publications and databases that attracts attention.
Fragmentation of information in all manner of different journals some
of which are accessible and some not is the scourge of many a
scientist. The observation that most articles are being accessed only
after having been found with general search tools such as Google are
testimony to the fact that practically nobody relies anymore on the
choices journals and their publishers make.

The role of a publisher nowadays is to provide the service to a
scientist of having his or her contributions peer reviewed and
subsequently added to the common pool (well, ocean) of knowledge and
information in a standardised, accessible and attributable way. That
role is not satisfactorily played with the encumbrances of the
subscription model.

You are right that the subscription model may be suitable to content
of a certain nature. Magazines – even scientific ones – and the like
come to mind. Nothing wrong with that. For the mainstay of scientific
communication, however, the model is not suitable any longer. Of
course it will amble along for a time. Quite a long time, even.
Inertia is a pretty strong force.

Jan Velterop