From:
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2017 13:30:20 -0400
From: Eric Elmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 15:51:41 +0000

Nancy makes fantastic point.  The metadata portion of our entire
academic/scholarly universe is foundering and it shows.  Discovery
systems are only as good as the metadata fed into them, and the
quality varies tremendously.  Publishers put just enough effort into
their metadata to keep librarians from squawking too much, while still
paying the bills.  If the publishers don’t fix the problems (which
they show no inclination to unless we pay even more money them to do
it) we’ll need to shore it up ourselves.

And Joe’s question makes a YUGE assumption – that scholarly journals
and books universally become open access and available to everyone
everywhere AND that’s the entirety of what we provide and are asked to
provide  There are no other resources needed to fulfil our collective
mission?  I’m afraid that scholarly output(journals and books) is only
part of the materiel needs we provide to our researchers and students.
What about all that business intelligence, datasets/compilations,
newspaper and miscellaneous archival collections(especially print
based collections being digitized)?  Do those resources magically
become free as well? Hmmm…doubtful.

So even in an ideal open-access world we’re still going to need some
staffing to manage an admittedly smaller portfolio of
subscription/leased resources.  I can even see the possibility that
the amount of work the acq/er folks do wouldn’t go down that much.
With funds not going towards journals & books, the requests for those
other types of content would likely go up.

Happy Friday allJ

Eric Elmore                                                             |
Electronic Resources Coordinator                     |
The University of Texas at San Antonio            |
One UTSA Circle                                                     |
San Antonio, TX.  78249-0671                             |
(O)210-458-4916/(F)210-458-4577                    |