From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2013 17:01:16 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 09:12:45 -0500

It's good that Michael has supplied us with this carefully nuanced
reflection on the question of library sales of revised dissertations,
but I do have some followup questions.

First, for the 2010 figures he reports, are the 89 copies sold for all
types of books or just for monographs overall? It is important to know
because revised dissertations should not be compared with trade titles
or fiction or reference books or other kinds that university presses
publish. A true comparison that would illuminate the question best
would be a comparison of revised dissertation sales with sales of
other monographs only.

Second, I made such a comparison of sales of books in Latin American
studies at Penn State over a 20-year period, which revealed a 40%
difference in sales for the entire period and a 30% difference in
sales for the period from 2000 to 2009. If approval plans are not
discriminating against revised dissertations, what is the explanation
for this pattern?  Overall, it cannot be said that the revised
dissertations in this group were more "highly specialized" than the
other monographs. So, we have a puzzle that needs explanation. It
would be good if more studies like this were done in other fields and
by other presses, to see what patterns, if any, they can reveal. And
then it would be helpful for librarians to be interviewed in more
detail about how revised dissertations are treated. By the way, I
don't know of any university press (at least any that is a member of
the AAUP) that publishes unrevised dissertations.

Third, I'd like to know where Michael got the figure of 20%-25% as the
academic library portion of university press sales overall.  My guess
is that such a figure might be close to the truth if we are talking
about sales of all types of university press books--trade, regional,
fiction, cookbooks, reference, etc. My guess is that it would not be
close to the truth if we are talking just about monograph sales, which
are still heavily dependent on library sales. I'd put that percentage
as closer to 75%.  Again, it would be useful if the AAUP actually
gathered information on this subject systematically so that we
wouldn't all have to be guessing.

Sandy Thatcher