From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:33:26 -0400
From: Ivy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 23:44:33 +0000

Thanks to Ann for highlighting the work of the UC Santa Cruz
Genocoding Project.  Libraries can help with this.  The California
Digital Library (CDL) negotiates systemwide agreements for the UC
system, and we have worked hard to include text mining provisions in
our licenses for a number of years.  However, researchers are often
unaware of the library's efforts in this regard and may not think to
reach out to their libraries for assistance.  In many cases, we may
have already negotiated the rights they are seeking.  How those rights
are operationalized is another matter, and one in which libraries
should also consider playing a more active role.

We in the library community can do more to connect with our
researchers on these issues and invite them to enlist our help in
working with publishers and other information providers on text mining
arrangements.

- Ivy

Ivy Anderson
Director of Collections
California Digital Library
University of California, Office of the President
http://cdlib.org