From:
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2015 16:47:14 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 05:57:34 +0000

Most publishers understand this and have policies in place to
facilitate it. The one publisher with whom we have had difficulty in
the past was John Wiley.  Several years ago we had a case where the
article could be included in the print dissertation (a useless
provision since there is no longer a print copy submitted at Duke) but
not in the online version.  At the time no embargo was sufficient, or
so we were told (one difficulty we encountered was that the
representative we were talking to did not seem to clearly understand
his own company's policy). So that dissertation has one chapter
missing from the online version, with a dark copy that is complete.

Wiley still has very complex reuse policies, and, depending on how you
read them, they could require a one year embargo before a dissertation
can be made public.  We should note that this makes dissertations in
the digital age less accessible than they were in the past, for no
reason other than to protect the markets of commercial publishers, or,
perhaps, to pander to their fears.

See http://olabout.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-820227.html

I understand the escalating pressure to include published articles,
but doing that puts our students' academic success in the hands of
people outside the university who do not share any commitment to
higher education.  The real goal is peer review prior to the
submission of the dissertation; we should be working on how to
accomplish that without outsourcing to publishers.

Kevin

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director, Copyright and Scholarly Communications
Duke University Libraries