From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:12:15 -0400
From: "Enimil, Sandra A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:41:15 +0000

Subject: RE: Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em

Trademark owners must absolutely police their mark. But, there is such
a thing as fair use, as an affirmative defense, in Trademark law.
Using a descriptive mark for its primary meaning is considered fair
use-- if I had a product called Sandra's Flax Seed Oil, I cannot sue
another company for using the words flax seed oil in their description
of their own product. Nominative use is a fair use when it's used to
simply  identify another product. Lastly, some uses of trademarks in
parodies may be ok if the use is not directly tied to a commercial
purpose.

None of these seem to be in play here with the cookies/cakes, so I
think Kevin's suggestion would have been better to put other potential
infringers on notice.

Sandra

Sandra A. Enimil,  JD
Head, Copyright Resources Center