From:
Date:
Sat, 30 May 2015 23:37:54 -0400
From: Jan Velterop <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 11:26:50 -0400

"...it should be said that no one was ever forced to submit an article
to Elsevier."

This is where I disagree, Joe, especially if "Elsevier" here stands
for "the large traditional legacy publishers". In a way your statement
is true, of course, but only in the sense that nobody was ever forced
to embark on an academic career, either, where impact factors still
rule the roost.

That is of course not Elsevier's fault, but the academic ego-system's.
The academic communication and publishing system won't truly change,
however much that is necessary for science, unless and until journals
become more communication channel than the career advancement devices
they currently are, and the cowboys of tenure, promotion, and funding
decision makers stop herding the cash cows that those journals are
straight into the publishers' corrals.

Johannes (Jan) J M Velterop