From:
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2012 17:58:55 -0400
From: Laval Hunsucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:11:15 -0700

Joe Esposito wrote of Elsevier:

> Big organizations become big and stay that way
> because they know what they are doing.
> [. . .]
> When they started out hundreds of years ago, they
> did things that others did not--and prospered.

I'd be careful of emphasizing the factor of a long historical
continuity or traditionally consistent character in this kind of
case.

Elsevier is 132 years old. It swiped its logo and its name from
a bookselling/printing/publishing family which had started out
in the later sixteenth century and gone out of business in the
early eighteenth. That publisher was very unlike the current
Elsevier. The current Elsevier is also very unlike the pre-
Vinken Elsevier (and even unlike the early Vinken Elsevier,
when I worked for the company). During its first sixty years,
until World War II, the present Elsevier operated with a staff of
less than a dozen persons. It was of a modest size -- at any rate
as an STM publisher -- up to around 1970. Up into the 1980s,
it published quite a lot of novels and other fiction, and well into
the 1990s it had a large newspaper division. And that it has
traditionally 'known what it was doing', and been reluctant to
undertake (risky and even unsuccessful) experiments, is, to say
the least, open to serious dispute.

- Laval Hunsucker
  Breukelen, Nederland