From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2013 18:59:12 -0400
From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 01:33:57 +0000

>Yes Rick, You have restated the key point of those who disagree with
>you. You are proposing the destruction of Green OA journals with your
>policy if followed to its logical end, as you say below.

I'm not proposing the destruction of anything, Chuck. I'm pointing out
what I believe is a fundamental structural problem with the Green OA
model. The problem, I believe, is intrinsic to the model because to the
degree that Green OA becomes effective and widespread, it will create an
incentive for subscribers to stop subscribing. I'm not telling anyone to
stop subscribing; I'm saying that it's likely to happen in my library to
some degree, and probably in others as well.

>Joe Esposito
>clearly understands the implications while he lauds you talking
>"common sense" to all us luddites.

To be clear, I'm not characterizing anyone as a Luddite. In fact, I'm not
calling anyone any names at all. What I'm doing is explaining what I would
be likely to do in my library in the event that the content for which we
are currently paying large sums of money becomes freely and publicly
available (even in alternate versions). I think if you go back and review
this thread, you'll see that what name-calling there has been has all come
from elsewhere.

>IF there were any evidence libraries were willing to do what you
>propose, then there would be cause for concern. So far, however, you
>seem to be in the tiny but vocal minority, with as the ARL Blog Post
>indicates with it's title, potentially costly and large consequences.

Then by all means, everyone should ignore me. If I end up being the only
one who cancels journal subscriptions based on their content becoming
freely available, then there's nothing to get upset about.

>Some here might have missed the ARL post, but it says it all in the title:
>
>Canceling Green OA Journals: A Very Expensive Way to Not Save Money
>(while impeding your communityıs access):  http://policynotes.arl.org/

Ellen's post is a good and thoughtful one. I encourage all to read it. I
disagree with its assumptions; I think her critique is premised on the
creation of an unnecessarily elaborate and expensive monitoring system,
and I've explained already on this list how I believe a cheaper and more
modest one could be put into place, but it's certainly possible that she's
right and I'm wrong. We'll never know until Green OA becomes much more
common and pervasive. If and when that happens, then we'll see.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library, University of Utah