From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2015 21:36:18 -0400
From: Shirley Ainsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 20:53:55 -0500

This one really takes the biscuit for excuses for controlling access
to scientific literature!

=======
Tom Allen, President of the Association of American Publishers (AAP),
informs TF that websites such as Libgen pose a threat to the quality
of scientific publications, as well as the public health.

“Scholarly publishers work to ensure the accuracy of the scientific
record by issuing corrections and revisions to research findings as
needed; Libgen typically does not,” Allen says.

“As a result, its repository of illegally obtained content poses a
threat to both quality journal publishing and to public health and
safety.”

============

Although I realize this is a quote from someone from the AAP  and not
Elsevier directly...
Perhaps Mr Allen would also like to launch into Scopus, part of the
Elsevier empire, as also a health and safety risk.

I have seen numerous cases where articles in Scopus do not include
information that they have been retracted.

It is also somewhat of a problem in Pubmed, and there is an article
referring to this blogged on Retraction Watch:

http://retractionwatch.com/2014/06/30/some-retractions-take-three-years-to-show-up-on-pubmed-study/

Oops, sorry, Mr Allen was referring to corrections and revisions only....

Shirley

--
Shirley Ainsworth
Bibliotecaria/Librarian