From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:49:30 -0400
From: Nettie Lagace <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:14:08 -0400

Although the RA21 initiative was started by publishers, it was
recognized very early on that for it to be successful it would need to
be expanded to encompass all of the stakeholders in the scholarly
communication chain. RA21 has now been formally established as a joint
NISO/STM initiative, and has a new website at http://www.ra21.org/. Of
course, librarians are absolutely right to raise the privacy issue,
and RA21 seeks active engagement of the library community in making
sure that the recommendations that are taken forward fully address
these concerns. A set of guiding principles have been drafted (at
https://ra21.org/index.php/what-is-ra21/) which address the goal to
improve access to information while protecting the privacy of users. A
key objective is to create best practices that provide guidance on how
to use technology that exists today to let users access material they
are entitled to based on the subscriptions managed by their
institutions, from anywhere at any time.

All of the pilots which have been proposed so far seek to use
Shibboleth/SAML technology, which was built from the ground up with
privacy in mind.  Federated technology like this puts the user and the
institution in control of what information is shared with the
publisher. It is possible, for example, that only affiliation and role
attributes are shared by default, which are sufficient to confirm
institutional entitlements. It is also possible that a consent service
is added to the identity provider side, which would put users in
charge of determining what attributes beyond affiliation and role that
they are willing to share with publishers and other service providers.
There are many tools available in this space that allow users and
their institutions to control the level of privacy required, while
still enabling the users to optionally sign up for more personalized
services.

While RA21 came out of the publishing world, the participation of the
library community (and others!) are required to make this project a
success. This approach must be balanced; further questions and
engagement are greatly appreciated. Expressions of interest in getting
further involved or questions can be submitted at:
https://ra21.org/index.php/contact/

Nettie
Nettie Lagace
Associate Director for Programs
National Information Standards Organization (NISO)
3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 302
Baltimore, MD 21211
Mobile: 617-863-0501
Fax: 410-685-5278