From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2016 20:05:21 -0500
From: Eric Elmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 21:07:25 +0000

This has been one of the more aggravating trends the publishing
industry has pushed onto libraries the last few years.  It’s
incredibly confusing to patrons, leading them to believe we have
access to everything on the platform until they get slapped in the
face with the paywall.  Then they fire off a heated message to the
library about how they’re being denied access to materials we don’t
even have access or a subscription to.

I might not mind so much if they tried a little bit harder to make it
super-obvious which content we DO have access to, and which the
publisher wants to sell to the patron.  But as it is, most vendors
have teeny-tiny icons showing access (little green dots, or the “open”
lock, etc. ).  The concept of positive customer service went right out
the window when some beancounter figured out they could possibly
increase revenue by creating a misleading platform where users could
purchase directly from the publishers.

Eric Elmore                                                             |
Electronic Resources Coordinator                     |
The University of Texas at San Antonio            |
One UTSA Circle                                                     |
San Antonio, TX.  78249-0671                             |
(O)210-458-4916/(F)210-458-4577                    |