From:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2016 18:43:23 -0500
From: "Matheson, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 14:22:20 +0000

Hi Jim -

To your 2-5 (and maybe 6), our library (the law library only) has the
luxury (?) of not needing to view all our students as online students
as you correctly must. This has afforded us the opportunity to simply
say "no, thank you" to offers of online ersatz books; we frequently
continue to purchase the print instead. I have seen in the market that
more platforms and publishers have begun to offer what we believe best
serves our patrons - that is books that are downloadable as PDF,
viewable on many screen sizes, unencumbered by simultaneous user
limits or printing restrictions. I am optimistic that this trend will
continue (though am cognizant that there are countervailing pricing
pressures).

My corollary to your "all students are online students" is "all books
are potentially reserve books." Arbitrary, opaque use restrictions or
lack of permanence that mean I wouldn't put it on reserve for a class,
mean I'll argue hard against "buying" it.

To address the issue of classic works (especially multivolume), these
seem to me ideal candidates for projects that buy out rights and
render them open access in a post hoc fashion. Once they are
identified as "classics" it would reduce transaction costs and
increase access for all involved if there were a collective buyout
mechanism - like the one at unglue.it or being investigated by Mellon
or even by an organization like CRL or Hathi.

I share your frustration with the fragmentation of platforms - which
we see in our professional lives and when trying to figure out if that
thing we want to watch is on Hulu or Netflix or Amazon or Vudu or only
in the PBS app or.... The only solution I've come up with is not
creative, new, high-tech, or cheap: a good catalog that organizes the
collection in an intellectually rational way and points to the content
wherever it lives.

Scott

Scott Matheson, Associate Librarian for Technical Services
Lillian Goldman Law Library, Yale Law School
203-432-1603 | Box 208326, New Haven, CT 06520-8326