From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:37:09 -0400
From: Gretchen McCord <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:18:44 -0500

Hi, Curtis,

The copyright owner's "bundle of rights" includes not only the right
to prohibit others from copying a protected work, but also the rights
to create derivatives (a new work based on the original), performing
or displaying the work publicly, and distributing the work to the
public.  It is the first sale doctrine (Section 109 of the Copyright
Act), an exception to the copyright owner's rights already discussed
in this conversation, that allows libraries to lend books.

I highly recommend the following two sources for more on copyright law
in the higher ed setting:

http://copyright.lib.utexas.edu/
http://copyright.columbia.edu/copyright/

Hope this helps!
Gretchen

Gretchen McCord, MSIS, JD
Editor, The Copyright & New Media Law Newsletter