From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2015 19:57:40 -0500
From: "Elizabeth E. Kirk" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 14:16:27 +0000

I think that the Elsevier acquisition of Mendeley makes a great deal
of sense, especially given Elsevier’s robust defense of IP rights.
However, I do join Ann in finding the PQ acquisition of Ex Libris as
curious. Not because it makes sense in light of a perhaps struggling
In Tota product, but because I’m not sure that a librarian would ever
think that buying an ILS business was a great idea. Is there a library
out there that loves its commercial ILS? They’re all for sale,
announced or otherwise, but they all seem to have the appeal of a
medical procedure. You know that you need one, but the current options
don’t seem to offer any excitement. And no one expects that ILS
businesses will be bought with a goal of improving them.

If the goal is for Ebsco and PQ to create end-to-end library
solutions, then the acquisitions of ILS vendors and the acquisitions
of YBP and Coutts make sense, but maybe twenty years ago, not today.
From a librarian point of view, there seem to be a growing number of
non-librarycentric options for cobbling together a homegrown ILS and
hungry small book vendors and a voracious Amazon to supply monographs.
From this angle, these acquisitions look more like a private equity
firm buying Swets.

Happy holidays and may your stocking not be filled with a patron database,
Eliz

Elizabeth E. Kirk
Associate Librarian for Information Services
Dartmouth College
6025 Baker Library
Hanover, NH 03755

From: Scott A Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 13:56:04 +0000

I strongly agree with Brian's reasoning. None of the deals surprised
me either. In fact were I in any of the publisher's shoes, I would
have pursued similar M&A activities. I would turn it around Ann and
ask why you found them suprising. The notion of 'core' might be worth
unpacking a bit. Otherwise, I think these are all savvy moves to shore
up existing positions and explore additional markets without having to
create things from scratch. It's outsourcing R&D to some extent and
hedging bets on horses already in the race.

Scott

Scott Warren | Associate Dean for Research and Scholarship
Syracuse University Libraries
Syracuse, NY 13244
e [log in to unmask]
w library.syr.edu