From:
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2014 15:08:32 -0400
From: Mary Murrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 16:24:04 -0500

My thoughts...

The prospectus raises a lot of questions for me. A few of those questions:

1. It estimates that approx. 85% of asst. prof. faculty find
publishers for their books. If that figure really represents a crisis,
is it a crisis that requires a wholesale solution?

2. A great number of first-books/humanistic monographs are not
published by North American university presses. They are published by
commercial publishers here and abroad. They do not figure into this
plan. Should they?

3. As any publisher can tell you, some first books sell remarkably
well and go on to become classics in their field. Moreover, many
second and third books are themselves very specialized and face
difficulties finding publishers, and faculty needs those books for
promotion, too. Does the Prospectus seek to solve the problem of the
specialized monograph in general? If so, how?

4. Does the Prospectus's plan run the risk of granting prestige to
books that don't need a subvention--i.e., those that are judged to
have a sufficient market--and stigmatizing the OA/subvened books as
lower prestige? (Prestige is obviously a big part of what the
Prospectus calls the "research publication value chain."

5. The Prospectus suggests that smaller presses (which it says are 80%
of UPs) are where the problem is happening (retrenchment from
low-selling monographs) as opposed to the larger 20% who have the
means to offset their losses. Would the plan then serve to unfairly
enrich the larger publishers, and, if so, should they be exempted from
the plan? (Say, make the subventions applicable only to those presses
with sales under a certain figure?).

6. Finally, my big question: why do the authors of the Prospectus want
to change most of the "research publication value chain" BUT for the
habit of deciding tenure on the basis of where a book was published?
The Prospectus wants to introduce "innovation in the research
publication value chain" while at the same time it is deeply committed
to the status quo in its stated desire to "stabilize the current
system." That seems contradictory to me.

Mary Murrell
Lecturer, UW Madison
Department of Anthropology