From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:48:02 -0500
From: "Mittermaier, Bernhard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:07:01 +0000

Joe, let me try another analogy:

Do you agree that there is a significant contribution of a teacher to
a pupil's examination because pretty much of the pupil's knowledge is
due to the teacher's teaching?

And yes, there are better teacher and not so good ones, and there is a
high probability that the pupils of better teachers have better
examinations than the others.
But even though, would you ever accept a claim of ownership to a
pupil's examination by a teacher stating: "Without me, this pupil
would have never been able to write this examination."?

Now, what do you consider higher: The publisher's contribution to an
author's article or the teacher's contribution to an pupil's
knowledge, expressed by an examination?

Best regards,
Bernhard

Dr. Bernhard Mittermaier
Forschungszentrum Jülich
Leiter der Zentralbibliothek / Head of the Central Library