From:
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:18:38 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:33:39 -0700

In my experience, there can be a great deal of tension over these
issues.  Some societies are eager to increase their revenue and look
to commercial organizations as a way of doing that.  In effect, the
societies finance their own operations through the income earned from
sales to libraries, which may be conducted by a third-party.  There is
a clear secular trend for society journals, for example, to end their
association with university presses and make an arrangement with a
larger entity that guarantees significant income.

Joe Esposito