From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:19:12 -0500
From: "Duggan, Lori Lynn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:16:57 -0500

*Please excuse any cross posting of this inquiry*

We have recently received multiple requests from authorized users who
wish to engage in automated downloading/data mining of our licensed
electronic resources for research purposes (using PERL, Python or
other similar programs).   While we've always been engaged in
preventing this type of use per our license agreements, it appears
that this type of research involving the textual analysis of large
data sets has become increasingly prevalent.  Are other institutions
receiving these types of requests, and if so, how are you assisting
patrons with requests of this nature?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to provide,

Lori Duggan
Head, Electronic Resources Acquisitions
Indiana University Libraries
Bloomington IN,  47405-3907