From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2014 19:13:00 -0500
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 11:54:50 -0500

I read this post just prior to boarding a flight from Los Angeles to
New York.  By my estimate well over half the passengers were watching
a movie or sports event on the seat-back video display.  So in
addition to the question of print vs. digital books, we have the
competition with other media.  My view is that consumer publishing,
insofar as it is a species of entertainment, will be seriously
challenged by the many new media alternatives.  In this respect, Apple
is a bigger threat than Amazon.

As for shelf space at Barnes & Noble, this is much discussed in trade
book circles.  We had an unsustainable high point for book shelf space
in the 1990s (the increased shelf space for superstores did not
materially improve sales in the aggregate, so the cost of the retail
operations inevitably would make the model collapse, even without the
introduction of ebooks).  A B&N store at that time with 150,000 titles
was not 100% books (calendars, toys, cards, etc. were always part of
the mix), but there is no doubt that calling B&N a bookstore now seems
almost fraudulent. Interestingly, other stores have now begun to sell
books (e.g., Anthropologie).  So is the shelf space growing or
shrinking?

What is clear, though, is that it is shrinking for intellectually
serious books.  A clothing boutique may carry books, but probably not
those that the members of this list consider relevant.

In about 1995 I saw the entire Loeb Classical Library in a Borders on
Michigan Avenue in Chicago.  I knew that was simply marketing, an
attempt to make the store seem more serious than it was, to add "tone"
to the off-price books in the front of the store.

The book business is a small one. It will persist, but over time it
will likely return to its core constituency of serious readers, most
of whom will find their book online.  I don't miss print books myself,
but I do miss bookstores.

Joe Esposito