From:
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2018 21:55:30 -0500
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 07:31:32 +0000

Anthony,

I agree that the freemium model doesn’t provide everything that SciHub
does, but I was responding to Rick’s points about legal and
frictionless access. I also know that everyone, when given the chance,
likes to download for free, but free-to-read is not a bad option if
downloading is a premium feature. As I argued last year
(https://goo.gl/SYDxto) Green and Gold don’t seem to be the models
that will ever get 100% of scholarly content freely accessible on the
day of publication, so it’s time to look for others. Freemium, OECD
and Open Editions style, may not be perfect but it means 100% of our
content can be read by anyone on day 1 for free. At OECD we are
continuing to explore the boundaries of freemium - with making basic
PDF versions freely available to download a definite objective - but
this is dependent on our finding other ways to provide sufficient
premium value from new services for subscribers (or find new income
from alternative sources). We’ve tried Gold (but our authors’ funders
are not interested), we can see that Green is unsatisfactory - so
we’re actively exploring an alternative model and, so far, it’s
working well and we believe others should be joining us in this
exploration.

Toby Green
OECD