From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2013 18:57:31 -0500
From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 08:50:00 +0000

Congratulations to Phil on completing what looks like a very
interesting piece of work.

But I'm a bit bemused by John Tagler's comments in the press release
that this work supports the view that 'a one-size-fits-all embargo
period for scholarly work will not fairly address disparities in
journal usage and, in turn, damage the sustainability of high-quality,
peer-reviewed science communication'.  As far as I know there is no
evidence to link download half-life (or citation half-life, or any
such metric) with journal cancellations.  Phil certainly does not try
to make that linkage in his paper.  So, while this work is interesting
I can't see that it actually tells us anything about the
sustainability of high-quality, peer-reviewed science communication.

David