From:
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2013 19:31:07 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 12:11:26 +0000

To reply to Sandy's question, I must again insist that there is no
"original meaning" of fair use, a phrase he seems to insist on.  Fair
use is not like a cat or dog, subject to a clear definition (rather
like Mr. Gradgrind's horse).  Instead, fair use is a set of
instructions about how to think about particular situations and the
totality of circumstances that surround them.  So in answer to the
question how I would distinguish between a permissible fair use and an
infringing derivative work, I will give the typical lawyer's answer --
it depends.  It depends, as always, on the specific facts and
circumstances of the use in question.  There is no way to draw the
line a priori.  So give me some facts and I can give you an opinion,
but speculation untethered from a concrete situation is useless.

And before he asks, the ARL Code to which Sandy refers so often and
with such disdain, is not an attempt to define fair use; it is simply
an elaboration of the kind of thinking that individuals can engage in
when considering recurring situations.  It is, if you will, a more
detailed set of instructions for thinking about fair use when engaged
in common library activities, based on a combination of the practice
of many libraries over the years and the approach to the fair use
analysis that the courts have outlined over its long history.

Kevin

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director, Copyright and Scholarly Communication
Duke University Libraries
Durham, NC  27708

From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:44:25 -0500

To be clear, I have no interest in limiting the "flexibility" of fair
use as a vehicle for adapting copyright law to shifting technologies
and other new circumstances. That is indeed its chief virtue.  And it
is a virtue that serves the interests of copyright owners as much as
it does the interests of users.  But a concept can be stretched so far
beyond its original meaning that it loses its effectiveness also. Fair
use is probably best employed as an adjunct to limitations and
exceptions, which being targeted and specific offer much greater
certainty to those concerned with copyright questions, rather than as
the first resort for litigants.  It seems that the ARL and some other
groups are now favoring fair use over any other approach, abandoning
for instance the effort to provide specific guidance for use of
"orphan works," and this is bound to result in more litigation, not
less. The trend also seems to be toward equating fair use with
"re-purposing" of any kind and making that the principal touchstone of
what fair use is. This becomes problematic, among other reasons,
because it makes fair use into a general tool for displacing the right
of copyright owners to control "derivative" uses, which are assigned
to owners under the law. I would ask Kevin how, if fair use is just
using copyrighted works for a different purpose, he would distinguish
between what is fair use and what is an example of derivative work.

Sandy Thatcher