From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:59:45 -0500
From: Sally Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:11:59 +0000

We all used to be perfectly content to sell/buy, respectively, print books
and journals without any 'terms and conditions'.  Yes, I know that what
people can in principle do with e-publications is immeasurably scarier to
publishers, but haven't we all added greatly to the cost of e-publications
by involving expensive legal people on both sides to write and then
negotiate these contracts?

It's not just publishers who are to blame; some years ago, I understand that
BMJ tried to do without an agreement for its online version, only to yield
to customer pressure to reintroduce it!

I'm sure you are all familiar with the various attempts there have been to
simplify/standardise journal agreements - but how much success have they
actually had?

Sally

Sally Morris
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex, UK  BN13 3UU
Email:  [log in to unmask]