From:
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:44:57 -0400
From: Deborah Lenares <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:14:31 -0400

To possibly add a bit more context to these numbers, it's very
possible that libraries are not reporting figures that accurately
represent spending on "books" and "journals."  The increase in
spending on serials since 1999 has certainly been impacted by the
availability of annually renewing databases.  Increased spending on
"journals" is not an indication that journal pricing is out of
control, it's an indication that libraries are buying more annually
renewing resources.  These annually renewing resources might also
include statistical databases, ebooks packages subscribed to or
purchased on an annual basis, discovery services, full text databases,
etc.

Although I have admittedly not had time to read the entire article,
the suggestion that the increase in spending on serials can be
attributed to big deals I think is incorrect.  The article claims that
multi-year contracts with 7%+ increases are typical.  I have never
signed even a one year agreement that locks in a price cap that high.
I very much doubt that that is a "typical" amount for a multi-year
contract.

Deborah Lenares

Manager Acquisitions and Resource Sharing
Science Collection Management Librarian
Clapp Library - Wellesley College
Wellesley, Massachusetts 02481