From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:08:16 -0400
From: Wade Mcmunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 16:17:20 +0000

We've been using hosted EZProxy (with the self-management option)
since mid-August 2015 and the big advantage I've noticed so far is
really good support on troubleshooting problem (unsupported) stanzas.

Because we use the self-management option, we add our own stanzas
(which take approximately 30 minutes to deploy) and have the ability
to investigate / block users.

Another good point of using the hosted service is OCLC provides two
distinct environments... development and production. This means that
we can test changes (stanza additions, group configuration changes
etc.) in the development environment before rolling changes out to
production (our live users).

The final positive point is we don't have to deal with upgrading
physical hardware every few years.

The major con I've notices so far it takes 15 minutes to deploy
changes to the development environment which makes testing stanzas a
lengthy process if the stanza is anything less than straightforward.
Once I have a working stanza, it's another 15 minutes to deploy to
production.

Wade McMunn
Web Developer
University of Manitoba Libraries