From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2014 20:06:44 -0400
From: "Hansen, Dave" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 17:03:05 +0000

Hi all,

Below is a link to a survey on how libraries and archives interact
with the copyright notice and takedown system. If you are a librarian
or archivist that has any experience with this, I encourage you to
fill this out. It is often difficult to find good data about how the
copyright system is working or not working, especially with respect to
libraries and archives. This is an opportunity to help address that
problem, albeit on a narrow (but very interesting) question.

Thanks,
Dave

---

Dear Librarian or Archivist,

We are researchers studying copyright notice and takedown procedures,
and how they work in practice for different participants in the
system.  We’re conducting surveys of online service providers to learn
more about the evolution of copyright notice and takedown practices in
the past several years.

We’re  hoping you can help us develop a better account of how
practices around copyright notice and takedown, as experienced by
memory institutions such as libraries and archives, have evolved in
the last few  years.  We would be grateful if  you--or someone with
responsibilities in this area at your institution--can spend about 20
minutes answering questions about your institution’s  experience.  You
should be able to answer almost all of them off the top of your head.
A few might require some brief research or deliberation.

Libraries have traditionally received few takedown notices, but this
may be changing with increasing moves to e-books, open access
repositories, online offerings, and networked “hubs” for materials.
Further, some libraries provide basic Internet access for many in the
community, and may see notices in this role.  In addition, some
university libraries historically (and sometimes still today) serve as
the IT hub for the college or university, and thus manage notices for
the entire system.

up to request explicit permission to attribute quotes or details.
Otherwise, published results will be limited to generalizations based
on the responses.

Here’s the survey link:
https://columbiataa.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3W1Ix7sS68CtqV7

If you can make the time, please do so as soon as possible.  We hope
to wrap up by the end of April.

We would also welcome any help circulating this note to your
colleagues and peers at other institutions--inside or outside the US.
We are hope to develop as broad a picture as possible of the safe
harbor landscape.

The survey is part of a larger project on notice and takedown led by
researchers at UC Berkeley and Columbia University.  If you are
interested in our work, more information is available at
www.takedownproject.org.

Please send any questions to Brianna Schofield (below).

Best regards,

Jennifer Urban
School of Law, University of California, Berkeley

Joe Karaganis
The American Assembly, Columbia University

Brianna Schofield
School of Law, University of California, Berkeley

Kristoff Grospe
The American Assembly, Columbia University

David R. Hansen
Reference Librarian & Clinical Assistant Professor, UNC School of Law
Digital Library Fellow, UC Berkeley School of Law
919.962.1605 (o)