From:
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2013 18:51:05 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 08:56:25 +0000

Dear all,

On Friday 17th May the San Francisco Declaration on Research
Assessment (DORA; http://am.ascb.org/dora/) launched, with support
from journals, publishers, individuals and scientific organisations.
Including, editorials in Science, Journal of Cell Biology, eLife and
others (linked from the DORA website).

DORA is a about using better more appropriate metrics – than the
Impact Factor – to measure the impact of individual papers (and other
products of research) and individual scientists. Anyone with an
interest in improving the way we assess the quality and impact of
research should read the DORA and, if you agree with the proposals,
sign it. As DORA states, “it is imperative that scientific output is
measured accurately and evaluated wisely.”

Faculty of 1000 was amongst the original signatories and I have
published a few thoughts on research assessment and impact, and the
growth of new article-level and non-citation-based metrics on the
F1000 blog, which may be of interest:
http://blog.f1000.com/2013/05/20/what-is-impact/

Best regards,

Iain