From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 22:01:35 -0400
From: Heather Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 09:35:03 -0700
Thanks to the pointer, Sean.

The Canadian Association of University Teachers points to the numerous
problems with this model license.
http://www.caut.ca/pages.asp?page=1079&lang=1

Highlights:

Fees - we should be looking for decreases, not steep increases.

The definition of linking as copying should concern us all. As CAUT
points out, it is inexplicable that AUCC signed this.

Paying for existing rights - this license requires payment for
existing rights under fair dealing, as well as rights that we have
paid for through our electronic licenses.

Surveillance: "the survey instruments will require intrusive
monitoring of professors, librarians, researchers and students."

Comments: Canadian universities should not sign this license.
Advocates of fair copyright in other countries can help us out by
pointing out how foolish it is to sign.

best,

Heather Morrison
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com