From:
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2015 09:22:14 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 12:21:45 -0500

For another discussion of this topic, following a post by Rick
Anderson on The Scholarly Kitchen and including a long comment by me,
see:

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2015/10/21/another-big-win-for-google-books-and-for-researchers/

As for Leval's analysis of derivative works, in saying that derivative
works generally have to do with change in form or format (like
translations or a movie based on a book), he conveniently ignores the
fact that the definition of derivative works in the Copyright Act
includes condensations and abridgments, which clearly do NOT involve
any such changes.

Sandy Thatcher