From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:40:12 -0500
From: Heather Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 20:56:13 -0800

As a long-time open access advocate, my position is that the strongest
CC license for open access is CC-BY-NC-SA, as this protects open
access downstream.

I share with my open access colleagues a concern for the emerging
pseudo open access options offered by commercial publishers, and will
be watching for details of the Taylor & Francis Open with a critical
eye.

However, I advocate for inclusiveness in defining open. The CC-BY
universe is a very great deal smaller than the OA universe. As Suber &
Sutton reported in the December 2011 SPARC Open Access Newsletter,
only 15% of the society publishers listed in the DOAJ use any CC
license at all; and of those that do, some use noncommercial,
sharealike, and noderivatives. This is less than the 24% of all
journals listed in the DOAJ Shieber found to use CC licenses in 2009.
And this is the gold road - full open access publishers. Outside of
the gold road, the use of CC licenses, and particularly CC-BY, is not
common at all. There are no funder or institutional open access
mandates requiring any kind of CC licensing, never mind CC-BY, to the
best of my knowledge.

As one example of the confusion that can arise with CC licensing,
consider that it is not always clear whether the CC license is that of
the author, or of the journal.

Some of my relevant posts on this topic:

Dissension in the open access ranks on CC licenses and strategy tips
for scholarly publishers
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com/2011/12/dissension-in-open-access-ranks-on-cc.html

Sage "choice": a critique
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com/2011/11/sage-choice-critique.html

Creative Commons and Noncommercial: CC Version 4.0 discussion
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com/2011/12/creative-commons-and-noncommercial-cc.html

best,

Heather Morrison, MLIS
Doctoral Candidate, Simon Fraser University School of Communication
http://pages.cmns.sfu.ca/heather-morrison/
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com