From:
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 17:47:50 -0500
From: Heather Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:48:23 -0800

Thanks, Kristen, this is good to see.

The Terms and Conditions raises more questions for me. Why is there no
mention of the public domain? Why do the Terms and Conditions refer to
being in addition to the JSTOR terms and conditions and library
licenses? It is good to see that JSTOR is at least providing free
access to these works, however it seems to me that JSTOR is continuing
to assert new copyright in works that are clearly in the public
domain.

Many of the journals in Highwire Free are providing this or better
access to their own journals within a year of publication:
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

This is a model that I would advise JSTOR and all participating
journals to consider. Or, if JSTOR will not consider, then perhaps
journals should move to another service, whether Highwire or looking
to see if their local library is now able to support journal archiving
(many are).

It would be a nice gesture to prominently display a link to the Early
Journal Content on JSTOR's home page, ideally before Aaron Swartz'
funeral tomorrow.

best,  Heather Morrison