From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2013 22:01:12 -0400
From: Francesca Musina <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:30:54 +0100

Dear colleagues,

thank you all for the replies and opinions on the issue submitted to
your attention through the list. In this moment, thanks to the advice
of a fellow librarian (thanks Stephanie!), we have asked Portico if we
can get access through their platform as we are member of it and we
are waiting for their answer.

The question for us, of course, is not only an economic question (in
this case it is not an economic question at all, as we are talking
about few tens of €...); the important point of the question focuses,
instead, on the possibility of ensuring access rights to subscribed
content to our users.

The transition to the electronic format has introduced the distinction
of "content fee" and "access fee", where for content fee we mean a fee
which provides certain entitlements to the journal issues for that
publication year for the subscribed titles (i.e. including backfiles)
and for these entitlements we are asked to pay a full price
subscription.

It seems to us that what Nature asks to subscribers is more like a
“content fee”, but  rights granted in return are more like “access
fee” rights, aren’t they?

Kind regards
Francesca Musina

Francesca Musina
Università degli Studi di Torino
Direzione Ricerca, Relazioni Internazionali, Biblioteche e Musei
Biblioteca Digitale