From:
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 22:04:42 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 08:32:29 -0500

I agree that this student was ill served by his university (though he
might have paid more attention himself to reading the contract he
signed), but I would also guess that many universities do a much
better job of educating their graduate students than this university
did. I served on the ETD task force that oversaw the transition to
submission of electronic dissertations at Penn State, and we provided
graduate students there with thorough information on all aspects of
the process, including publishing and copyright (the sections on which
I wrote myself): http://www.etd.psu.edu/. Penn State was hardly alone
in providing this kind of information to its graduate students.

Sandy Thatcher

P.S. Please also read my comment to the Chronicle article, toward the end.