From:
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2015 19:17:00 -0400
From: "Wise, Alicia (ELS-OXF)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 21:28:09 +0000

Hi again, everyone – one last final post from me

·         Our main aims with our new sharing and hosting policies are
to support a framework that makes it more clear to researchers how
they can share their research, including on newer commercial sharing
sites, and to lift the old requirement for IRs to have agreements with
us.

·         A key concern that we are hearing now is about the length of
our embargo periods rather than the fact of their existence. Our
journal specific embargo periods are evidence-based (e.g. usage
evidence) and typically range from 12-24 months, however there are
exceptions which can be either longer or shorter than 12/24 months.
Generally embargos should be set on a title-by-title basis by
publishers, however we recognize that other stakeholders seek
influence over embargo lengths too and this is reasonable. We are
committed to collaboration and partnership as we continue to move
forward with open access.

·         We have already been planning a review of our embargo
periods in 2015.  While I cannot pre-judge the outcome of this review,
we are very conscious of the many new funding body policies that have
emerged in the last year with 12 month embargo periods all of which we
will factor in.

·         We appreciate the feedback we have received, and there is
clearly a need to continue these discussions.  We’re happy to talk at
any time, and will be participating at the upcoming Open Repositories
conference in Indianapolis (June 9 & 10) and also at ALA at the end of
June.   (Our earlier offer to talk with colleagues at Duke and SPARC
this week, or indeed anytime, still stands!)

Good night,

Alicia

Dr Alicia Wise
Director of Access and Policy
Elsevier I The Boulevard I Langford Lane I Kidlington I Oxford I OX5 1GB
E: [log in to unmask]