From:
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2011 20:51:49 -0700
From: Jennifer McLennan <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 12:03:08 -0500

At the upcoming meeting of the American Library Association (ALA) in
Dallas, TX, SPARC (the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources
Coalition) and the Association of College and Research Libraries
(ACRL) will co-host a timely panel discussion on “Getting the rights
right for the future of scholarly communication.”

The potential for using the digital environment to accelerate
scholarship depends not only on unfettered access to publications and
data, but also – equally – on having the clearly stated rights to use
and re-use the materials. Only with full re-use rights are we able to
realize the true potential of Open Access to create new knowledge,
build on earlier findings, and translate research for educational and
commercial use.

The next SPARC/ACRL forum will explore the troubles of getting the
rights piece wrong and how we can unlock the future of scholarship and
scholarly communication if we get the rights piece right.

For details, visit: http://www.arl.org/sparc/media/11-1202.shtml

-------------------------------------
Jennifer McLennan
Director of Programs & Operations