From:
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2016 21:10:13 -0400
From: "Jean-Claude Guédon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 10:46:04 -0400

What should be added is that this is the second time our university
cuts back from a Big Deal. The first time was with Wiley. It worked.
We are now back in a Bidg Deal situation with Wiley, but at a much
more reasonable price than before. However, Wiley did not seem to like
the fact that a major university would be without a Big Deal. Fear of
"bad" example, perhaps?

The success of this operation has been based on the fact that the
library, the administration and the faculty union have all agreed to
support the move by the director of libraries. The reason is simple:
the faculty in our university has understood that the enemy is
certainly not the library or its director, and that the present course
of Big Deal pricing is totally unsustainable.

This is a very nice example to meditate and study in other libraries.
But do not move without first ensuring faculty (and student) support,
as well as administration.

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire
Littérature comparée