From:
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:22:17 -0400
From: Denise Troll Covey <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:24:22 +0000

All,

We recently inquired and received ProQuest’s “Content Delivery &
Access Price Sheet” for TDM. The spreadsheet includes pricing and
delivery methods for Historical Newspapers, Official Government
Documents, History Vault, and Historical Periodicals.  The prices vary
depending on the delivery method – significantly lower for delivery
from the cloud than delivery via hard drive, but most of the material
is not available for delivery form the cloud.  And the prices are
outrageous, especially when you consider that much of the content is
out of copyright and TDM is likely fair use of the content that is
copyright protected.  We suspect that library licensing fees covered
ProQuest’s financial investment in scanning/OCRing this material, so
why the exorbitant cost to enable TDM?

Has anyone tried to negotiate with ProQuest to arrive at affordable TDM?

Denise

Denise Troll Covey
Scholarly Communications Librarian
Carnegie Mellon University