From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2013 20:15:15 -0400
From: "Jason Marcakis (On behalf of Wouter van der Velde) Springer"
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:11:59 -0500

Dear Dr. Vijayakumar,

Springer sells our eBook collections by copyright year, and we take
great care to project the number of titles that will be offered in
each package for each copyright year.  We almost never under-produce
within a package, and have license clauses to protect the client if we
ever do.  In fact, over-production of titles in a package year is
given to the client at no charge, and happens more frequently than
not.

Springer publishes around 20 books every day, and traditionally uses a
copyright year that runs from October to September. When a Springer
editor contracts an author to write a book for us, we estimate the
publication date and update our systems the closer a manuscript comes
to final acceptance. The estimated date of publication can be years in
the future, and as soon as we can announce a book, it appears on
springer.com with the estimated copyright year. This is why patrons
see a large number of books with copyright year 2014 announced, not
published.

As I said before, our copyright year generally runs from October to
September. However, you may see a few titles which are already
published in the new copyright year since the book-publishing process
can sometimes unexpectedly accelerate at the last moment. Some authors
speed up their response times in the final stages of publication so
that a book can be published sooner than expected, while we
anticipated that the book would be published after the copyright year
change date. The contrary can also happen when a final manuscript can
only be typeset after the due date (and the book will carry the
previous copyright year).

The number of eBooks carrying copyright year 2014 that have already
been published is limited to only 14 titles. Should any of these
titles not fall into one of our customer’s collections, because the
2014 packages have not yet been purchased, Springer will always find
an access solution together with its customer.

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion or misunderstandings.

With kind regards,
Wouter
-
Wouter van der Velde