From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2016 18:24:01 -0500
From: Tracy Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 20:07:59 +0000

Lisa,

Simon Inger and I are in the final stages of completing a piece of
research that may go some way to answering your question. Our (open
access) report “How Readers Discover Content in Scholarly
Publications” will be available at the end of March. Our survey
attracted over 40,000 respondents globally and one of the questions we
asked was regarding which resource the reader accessed their article
from – publisher site, aggregation, subject repository, institutional
repository, social networking site, or directly from the author.

We will announce publication of the report on this list, but feel free
to follow us on Twitter at @siox14 or check our website for
announcements.

Regards,
Tracy

Tracy Gardner
Consultant

Simon Inger Consulting
www.simoningerconsulting.com

From: "Hinchliffe, Lisa W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 00:50:13 +0000

Stevan Harnad mentions the option to implement Copy-Request Button
<http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/268511/> being implemented in
institutional eprint repositories. ResearchGate et al also enable
requesting from authors.

Has anyone conducted any formal or informal studies of response rate
to such requests? I know that as an author, I reply but usually not
for a few days since requests come in at all hours, while I¹m
traveling, etc. and I don¹t always have ecopies of things I published
years ago (in print). I go find ecopies or scan but that isn¹t
instantaneous. And, myself I¹ve tracked down scholars to try and
contact them only to find they have left academia, retired, or on case
passed away. And, when I do write - response rate isn¹t 100% by any
means.

Thanks for any pointers!
Lisa

--Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe Professor/Coordinator for Information
Literacy Services and InstructionUniversity Library 434, University of
Illinois, Urbana, Illinois 61801 <mailto:[log in to unmask]>,

Candidate for ALA President, 2017-2018
http://lisa4ala.org <http://lisa4ala.org/>,
https://www.facebook.com/lisa4ala, http://twitter.com/lisa4alaprez